Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Disproportionate?

Right now, Israel is sending ground forces into Gaza in an attempt to root out Hamas. It probably won’t—Hamas is fairly popular in Palestine, and any Israeli collateral damage will serve as a Hamas recruiting tool. (Hamas deserves the blame for the collateral damage—they deliberately position key military centers near civilians, but I doubt that many Palestinians will bother to work that out). But it could cripple Hamas’ guerrilla capabilities, and will ensure that Hamas and Hezbollah realize that they cannot attack Israel without some very unpleasant reprisals. So it’s a good plan.

Except in the minds of most liberals. For some inexplicable reason, nearly all of the Left is solidly opposed to any attempt by Israel to defend itself. The Left doesn’t like war, but this is ridiculous. It’s hard to find another conflict with such black and white, good versus evil opponents. Yet liberals almost universally oppose Israel’s war.

First, it is worth pointing out that Israel rightfully belongs to the Israelis. Palestine was part of the Ottoman Empire; when it broke up, Great Britain took over. In 1922, the League of Nations gave Britain a mandate to “secure the establishment of the Jewish national home” in Palestine. Securing the establishment took a while, what with conflicts with Arab natives of Palestine, and Israel was not created until 1948 with the expiration of the British Mandate. But the land comprising Israel was the property of the Ottomans, then the British—it is not as if conniving Jews stole the land from innocent indigenous Arabs.

So if Israel has a right to exist, and is a sovereign country, why isn’t its offensive against Hamas acceptable due to its right to defend itself? Because Israel’s response to savage, unjustified Palestinian terrorism is “disproportionate.”

“Disproportionate,” in this context, can mean anything. It isn’t possible to set a value on human life, and calculating the number of Palestinians Israelis are allowed to kill in retaliation for Islamic terrorism is just stupid. But that doesn’t stop liberals from trying—they reason that since about 500 residents of Gaza have died in the fighting, then Israel (which has lost a measly nine people to Hamas) is acting inappropriately.

Okay, 500 to 9 does look a bit uneven. But when one considers that Hamas’ kills are due to deliberate targeting of civilians, and that it would be much higher (Hamas has fired over 500 rockets into Israel over the last two years) if Hamas wasn’t so bad at fighting, and that all of Israel’s collateral damage is unintentional and it attacks only military targets, that number doesn’t look quite so lopsided.

And when one considers that Hamas positions military targets among civilians, Israel’s response starts to look downright restrained. Some collateral damage is inevitable in a war, no matter how well planned. Hamas’ human shield strategy is designed to maximize civilian deaths—for every military base hit, Hamas gets a PR coup. In order to protect itself, Israel must kill innocent civilians put in its way by Hamas. But the moral responsibly for those deaths should go to Hamas, not Israel.

What is really disproportionate is the response to Israel’s war against terror. According to Wikipedia (which may not be totally accurate but is probably in the right ballpark) over 4200 Palestinians were killed during the Palestinian-Israeli conflict from 2000 to 2006. Over seven thousand people died last year in a civil war in Somalia no one cares about.

Even if we assume that Israel’s strikes against Hamas represents a totally unjustifiable, wholly disproportionate response to years of attacks, aren’t there more pressing issues in the world? In addition to Somalia’s neglected civil war, there are the massacres in Darfur, China’s routine human rights abuses, and the rampant caste discrimination in India, all of which touch far more innocent people than the squabbles over the Holy Land ever could. Worrying about Israel’s use of force is unnecessary (since Israel is justified in attacking Palestine), and stupid, since there are so many other places that could actually use the concern.

27 Comments:

At January 7, 2009 at 8:28 AM , Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

hi there Daniel..Israel should stop defending herself to the cretins of the world!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:30 AM , Blogger BB-Idaho said...

Although the motives may be black and white, disproportionate response is one of those gray areas. We see the arguments in our own police 'restraints' and perhaps most powerfully in the
military's AR-24 (Petraeus' counterinsurgency tome). The perception is whether a root cause is addressed or whether revenge/satisfaction is the motive.
So, as you note, more enemy recruits often result. The Israelis themselves remain divided on the issue, and perhaps ironically, a great majority of US Jews remain
quite liberal in most of their views. It is classic tactics for
an insurgency or rebellion, lacking much military hardware, to resort to existing in the indigenous population & use terror tactics. The key, as Petraeus notes, is to separate them from their base (by winning over that base). While this works well given time and circumstance, it is of doubtful application in the Gaza conflict; the enmity is too old and entrenched. So, in all liklihood, this is the latest in a very long cycle and one ponders that the Israeli response is about as 'proportionate' as they can make it.

 
At April 28, 2013 at 7:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are in point of fact a just right webmaster. The web site
loading velocity is incredible. It seems that you're doing any distinctive trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork. you've
done a great task on this topic!

Feel free to visit my web blog ... Abercrombie

 
At May 5, 2013 at 11:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahaa, its good discussion about this post here at this blog, I have read all that,
so now me also commenting here.

my site: Authentic Evgeni Malkin Jersey

 
At May 7, 2013 at 1:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read several good stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting.
I surprise how so much attempt you place to make such a magnificent informative website.


Here is my homepage; Louis Vuitton Bags

 
At May 12, 2013 at 4:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there! I just want to give you a big thumbs up for your excellent information you've got here on this post. I will be returning to your website for more soon.

Stop by my site; Louis Vuitton Handbags

 
At May 13, 2013 at 6:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm amazed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that's equally educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you have
hit the nail on the head. The problem is something
that too few people are speaking intelligently about. Now i'm very happy I found this in my search for something concerning this.

Visit my web site :: Louis Vuitton Handbags

 
At May 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know how I finished up here, but I believed this post used to be good. I do not recognize who you might be but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already. Cheers!

Here is my blog post: http://www.explorethecapabilities.com/cheapjerseys.html

 
At May 17, 2013 at 5:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when viewing from my apple iphone. I'm trying to find a theme or plugin
that might be able to fix this problem. If you have any suggestions, please
share. With thanks!

Here is my page ... This Site

 
At May 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I am so excited I found your website, I really found you by error,
while I was looking on Aol for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to
say thank you for a tremendous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the
theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the
minute but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more,
Please do keep up the fantastic work.

My web blog :: Sac A Main Louis Vuitton

 
At May 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?

My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no back up.
Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?



my web page ... Cheap Louis Vuitton Bags

 
At May 25, 2013 at 8:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I might like this blog.

He was totally right. This post actually made my day. You cann't imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

my homepage; Abercrombie and Fitch

 
At May 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks , I have recently been searching for information about this topic for
a while and yours is the greatest I've came upon so far. However, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you sure concerning the supply?

My web site Air Max

 
At May 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi superb website! Does running a blog like
this take a large amount of work? I have very little expertise in computer programming however I had been hoping
to start my own blog in the near future. Anyway, should you have any recommendations or tips
for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject but I simply wanted to
ask. Thanks a lot!

My site; Basket Air Jordan

 
At May 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

With havin so much content and articles
do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation?
My website has a lot of completely unique content I've either authored myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any solutions to help stop content from being stolen? I'd definitely appreciate it.


My blog; Michael Kors

 
At June 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment.
There's no doubt that that you ought to write more about this subject, it may not be a taboo matter but generally people don't discuss such subjects.
To the next! Cheers!!

My web page ... Gafas聽Oakley

 
At June 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the
video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your
intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?


Feel free to surf to my web page ... Find Out More

 
At June 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very trouble-free to find out any matter on net as compared to books, as I found this post at this site.

Feel free to visit my page :: Read More Here

 
At June 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since the admin of this web site is working, no doubt very soon it will be well-known, due to its
feature contents.

Look into my web page ... Michael Kors Bags

 
At June 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drop a leave a response each time I appreciate a
post on a site or I have something to contribute to the
conversation. It's caused by the fire communicated in the post I read. And on this post "Disproportionate?". I was actually moved enough to drop a thought :) I actually do have a few questions for you if it's okay.

Could it be only me or do some of these comments appear as if
they are left by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting at other places, I'd like to follow you. Could you list all of all your shared pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

Stop by my website; Christian Louboutin Sale

 
At June 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your site have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like
to send you an email. I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

Feel free to surf to my web page Abercrombie Et Fitch

 
At June 10, 2013 at 4:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be suggested this blog by way of my cousin. I'm now not sure whether or not this submit is written by him as no one else know such exact about my trouble. You're
wonderful! Thanks!

Stop by my weblog: Sac Guess

 
At June 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not resist commenting. Very well written!


Also visit my homepage - Soldes Air Jordan

 
At June 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a topic that's close to my heart... Best wishes! Where are your contact details though?

Feel free to visit my web-site ... Boutique Air Max (http://smu-fr.org)

 
At June 14, 2013 at 1:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marvelous, what a blog it is! This website gives helpful data to us,
keep it up.

my web blog - Nike UK

 
At June 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure this post has touched all the internet visitors,
its really really nice post on building up
new website.

my blog: Sac A Main Louis Vuitton (nysacpr.org)

 
At June 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have take into account your stuff previous to and you
are simply too great. I actually like what you've acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the best way in which you are saying it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I can not wait to read much more from you. That is actually a wonderful website.

my weblog - Mulberry Bags

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home