Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Random Thoughts

Just a few random thoughts…

Rod Blagojevichis all set to appear on a reality show, provided a federal judge gives permission. Blago’s gone down in the world—but not as far down as the people who watch that show. (For the record, it’s called "I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!", in case you want to check it out). How boring must your life be if you find watching Rod Blagojevich the most interesting thing you can do?

Governor Rick Perry of Texas suggested that Texas could secede from the Union if it wanted to. Didn’t we fight a war about that issue? I know he wanted to rally the base, but I think he could have chosen a less controversial way of doing so.

The big mega-Tea Party was today. Meh.

How did Joe Biden donate less than two thousand dollars out of over $250,000 earned to charity? Far be it for me to criticize him for greediness (let he who is without sin…), but honestly, you’d expect him to donate at least one percent to charity.

Barack Obama hasn’t been able to find a new church yet. It must be harder to find another church run by a racist lunatic than he thought. Given that Obama claims to be quite religious, it’s surprising that he hasn’t attended church even once since becoming president.

Meghan McCain has been spending her time since the campaign ended trying to make a name for herself as a conservative pundit. She bills herself as a reformer trying to woo younger voters, but unfortunately she has spent most of her time sparring with Laura Ingraham and Ann Coulter. Coulter should be attacked as often as possible, but given that McCain only joined the GOP after her father starting running for president, I’m not sure she’s the best person to reinvent the party.

Also, McCain seems sensitive about the lack of younger voters who are Republicans. Frankly, I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about them—young people probably won’t start voting Republican in very large numbers anytime soon. I’m reminded of Churchill’s quote: “Anyone who is twenty and not a liberal has no heart; anyone who is forty and not a conservative has no brains.”

I’m nineteen. What does that say about me?

I know that my blogging hasn’t been very good over the last few weeks. What can I say—I’m really busy, I’m taking 19 credit hours this semester (I’m a college student, if you didn’t know), and I’m getting close to finals. I’ll keep blogging, but I probably won’t hit my target of five posts per week. I know that it’s boring reading a blog that isn’t update often, but I’ll try to at least make the posts I do get done quality posts.

7 Comments:

At April 16, 2009 at 7:34 AM , Blogger BB-Idaho said...

Huh. A college student? From your well-reasoned writing...who'd a thunk? I did a 19 credit stint with physical chemistry, botany, radiation biology, advanced inorganic and russian geography.
We were armed with slide rules back then, and any comparison is not real meaninful. Suffice to say, though, I sure didn't run a blog!

 
At April 16, 2009 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Beth said...

I come here for the quality, not the quantity, Daniel.

 
At April 17, 2009 at 4:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At April 17, 2009 at 11:09 AM , Anonymous Yves Smith said...

There will be no change for the better. Obama's financial advisers are pigs. Warren Buffet is a pig. Oprah Winfrey is a pig. Obama himself is a multi-millionaire politician married to a multi-millionaire attorney. He has already run the most expensive political campaign in history. Some of it squandered on a $400 lobster feast for his wife. Financed for the mostpart by ordinary people who can't even afford a $400 lobster feast. It happened on Obama's watch. Probably more than once. He even had the nerve to ask those ordinary people to help pay off the campaign debt of another filthy rich multi-millionaire politician PIG (Hilary Clinton).

By the way. The bailout won’t work. IT WON’T WORK. The plan fails to address the fundamental problem. The middle class don’t need more credit. They need a reasonable share of the economic pie. They also need a lower cost of living and a chance to catch their breath. They need a break from all of the psychological marketing tricks and mass market BS. Most of all, they need to wake up, see the truth, and take a stand.
So what can we do about it? Well, not much. Unfortunately, we are stuck on a runaway train

 
At April 17, 2009 at 11:41 AM , Blogger Z-man said...

Your blogging hasn't been very good for the last few weeks? Put it this way, your worst blog is better than alot of the ones out there. Sometimes even when you do things in a hurry they can still be good. Girl at work tasted my roasted asparagus the other day and said even when I do things in a hurry as I had alot to do that day it's still better than when other people make it.

 
At April 17, 2009 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Daniel Ruwe said...

1. I hate that I have to say this, but if you find yourself posting a comment that is longer than the original post, don't post it.

2. Thanks for the kind words. I think I'll just focus on quality for now--I think 3 good posts are worth more than 5 bad ones. At least through finals; after that maybe I'll have more free time, or at least more conveniently spaced free time.

 
At April 19, 2009 at 6:45 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Very long comments are most likely a cut and paste job anyway, so good call on that.

As for your assessment of 5 bad postings, you never have bad postings, my friend!

Good luck on your finals!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home